Friday, October 17, 2014

Sandwich Bread recipe

¼ cup sugar
1 ¼ teaspoon Active Dry yeast
1 cup hot water
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups bread flour

Here is how I make it in my Bosch:

I put the sugar and yeast in the Bosch, then pour the hot water over it. If the butter is not room temperature I add it now. Mix it on 1 for about ten seconds. I leave it for about ten minutes (longer in colder weather – 12-15 minutes) until it is very bubbly. Add butter (if not added before) and egg. Then I add the bread flour and salt, putting the salt in between cups of flour to keep it away from the yeast. I mix it on 1 until it starts to come together, then mix it on 2 for 15 minutes. If the dough is sticking to the bottom of the bowl, add more flour.

While dough is kneading, grease a non-plastic bowl. I use butter, but others use shortening or oil. Once dough is kneaded, put it into the greased. Then turn dough over so all sides are greased. Cover and let rise until double in size – about 30-45 minutes (longer on cold days, shorter on hot days). Punch down gently and turn into a greased loaf pan. Let rise again for about same amount of time. Bake in a pre-heated 375-degree F oven for about 35 minutes. Once done, remove from pan immediately and cool on a rack.

No comments: